It's All About The Kids At Barangaroo Reserve's Final Giant Picnic
- Family-friendly November Giant Picnic celebrates the theme of ‘sky’ on Sunday, 1 November, 11am-5pm
- Amazing, free family entertainment from Play School’s Justine Clarke and Alex Papps
- Picnic fare from Adriano Zumbo, Pendolino, Churburger and Efendy
The Barangaroo Delivery Authority, on behalf of the NSW Government, will wrap-up the popular Barangaroo Welcome Celebration this November with a packed month-long program of free family events at Sydney’s new Harbour foreshore park, Barangaroo Reserve.
The exciting schedule of events begins with the November Giant Picnic on Sunday, 1 November (11am-5pm) and continues as part of Barangaroo’s open weekends which run until Sunday, 22 November.
The November program welcomes the next generation to the site and explores the theme of ‘sky’, symbolising Sydney’s aspirations for the future. The new program is crammed with family fun and combines art installation, workshops, talks, tours and free live entertainment by some of the most recognised faces in Australian entertainment including Play School’s Justine Clarke and Alex Papps.
Gill Minervini, Welcome Celebration Creative Director, said: “The November Giant Picnic is the ultimate family day out, with free kids’ concerts, roving family entertainment, hands-on workshops, and affordable picnic fare to suit all ages. Everyone is invited to help us make history in welcoming this wonderful parkland into the heart of Sydney life.”
A highlight on the spring entertainment calendar, the spectacular November Giant Picnic includes free family entertainment with performances by:
- ARIA award-winner and best-selling children’s singer and actress Justine Clarke, who will delight visitors with two free performances on the Stargazer Lawn
- Popular Play School presenter Alex Papps and his band
- Kinderling Kids Radio Danceteria host Barry Divola and DJ Lorna Clarkson, who will get everyone up and dancing to your childhood favourites
- Legendary Sydney DJ Kate Monroe, host of Kiddo Disco, who will keep kids and parents dancing to happy tunes
- Musical comedian Luke Escombe, who will present the juiciest, rootsiest bunch in town, Vegetable Plot, bringing a feast of sweet melodies and exciting musical flavours
- A-cappella group The Accappelicans,who will dazzle audiences with a diverse repertoire of covers
- Vintage Quartestra, who willpay homage to some of the most memorable sounds of popular children’s TV shows, with theme songs from Spider-Man, Transformers and SpongeBob SquarePants
- Performances throughout the park by Sousaphonics, The Gulls, Hot Potato Band, Bird Parade, comedy, variety and circus from Mr Gorski and sideshow superstar Heidi Hoops.
The third and final bespoke art installation for the Barangaroo Welcome Celebration series will be unveiled at the November Giant Picnic inside Sydney’s newest cultural space, the Cutaway. Sydney artist James Dive and The Glue Society will present a large-scale mechanical ‘cha cha ride’ art installation entitled Make A Wish, which celebrates the dreams of the young and fearless, on show each weekend until Sunday, 22 November.
The dynamic installation is comprised of a working fairground ride, standing at approximately five metres high and 25 metres wide, and has been modified to replace its 12 seats with giant white cubes that twirl around in an un-aero-dynamic fashion, complete with large, googly eyes. While not able to be ridden, Make A Wish will be a thrilling sight.
“I imagined an endless Cha-Cha ride!” Dive says. “Make A Wish celebrates youth and how brave they are. I wanted to explore how young people have dreams that often scare adults. There’s a certain naivety there that’s almost enviable.”
Visitors are also invited to bring a picnic blanket and enjoy affordable picnic fare for the whole family along with drinks from some of NSW’s best producers. Alex Herbert, Barangaroo Welcome Celebration Food Curator, has assembled top local talent for the final picnic feast to prepare bespoke sky-themed dishes, including:
- Adriano Zumbo: delicious sweets
- Nino Zoccali of Pendolino: rigatoni with truffled wild mushrooms or gramigna con Il ragu; and ‘wild weed’ pasta with pork, veal and tomato ragu ($12 each)
- Warren Turnbull of Churburger: Churburger’s famous grilled beef burger with cheese, tomato jam, mayo and pickle; and pulled pork burger with BBQ sauce, red slaw, fennel and mayo ($10 each)
- Somer Sivrioglu of Efendy: Cha Kebabi ($12)
- In the Cutaway, Matt Moran’s Aria Catering will dish up a range of culinary feasts including the Moran’s family lamb with lemon myrtle aioli ($12.50), while Bourke St Bakery willserve hearty baked goods for $7 and under, including a beef, beer and bacon pie with cheesy mash ($7)
- Pop-ups bars will showcase a range of NSW’s best wine, ciders and beers including Printhie Wines from the Orange region in NSW, Batlow Cider from the Snowy Mountains and Newtown’s Young Henrys.
Open weekends in November
Barangaroo continues the Celebration throughout weekends in November, with free live performances by Sousaphonics, Bird Parade and Hot Potato Band, interactive circus workshops with Circus Playground and picnic fare from Sydney’s favourite food trucks.
A number of talks and workshops will be on offer, including workshops with Australian Theatre for Young People, Kids Writing Workshop with award-winning author and poet Ed Wright, Sydney Writer’s Festival Children’s Program and artist talks with James Dive and The Glue Society.
To see the full event program and transport information, please visit www.barangaroo.sydney.
Discover a new view of Sydney with #welcomebarangaroo #barangaroo
Event: Barangaroo Welcome Celebration – November Giant Picnic
Date/time: Sunday, 1 November 2015 at 11am-5pm
Location: Barangaroo Reserve, Hickson Road, Sydney NSW
November additional activity: Saturday and Sunday 7-8, 14-15 and 21-22 November at 11am-5pm.
Images and video of the park and Welcome Celebration talent are available on request.
For more information or interviews, please contact:
Sarah Shields, Access PR, 02 9292 7007, 0408 283 019, email@example.com
Samantha Boyd, Access PR, 02 9292 7013, 0414 408 198, firstname.lastname@example.org