It’s been 10 years since YouTube was born with a single, thrilling video upload simply titled ‘Me at the zoo’. I don’t think anyone predicted just how much of an internet behemoth YouTube was going to be – over 1 billion users uploading an average of 300 hours of video every minute!
YouTube has turned people and animals into worldwide celebrities, creating a few millionaires in the process. From short and sweet panda sneezes to the classic ‘Charlie bit my finger’ (which has now been viewed over an incredible 800,000,000 times!) there are countless videos out there in the ether for whiling away time. To celebrate 10 years of procrastination fodder we’ve chosen our favourite YouTube videos…it’s trickier than you might think and in no particular order here are our some of our top picks:
1. Given that we’re talking YouTube it seems appropriate to start with an animal video. This new video has had nearly 6million views in a month and it’s easy to see why. Slow mo + clumsy = epic
2. “Prancercise: A Fitness Workout” – Who go past “a spring, rhythmic way of moving forward, similar to a horse's gait and is ideally induced by elation” combined with white leggings and palm trees, circa 1989. What’s not to love?
3. Beloved pet come wild animal, Christian the Lion reunites with his previous owners many years after being returned to the wild all set to an arresting Aerosmith ballad. Is someone cutting onions?
4. Lip Syncing is climbing up the list of popular hobbies these days, probably thanks to Jimmy Fallon. This is how it’s done.
5. Comedy genius Eddie Izzard and lego stop motion – there’s very little not to love about this clip. You’ll need a tray.
6. A phone call seems very ordinary these days as people are coming up with more and more creative ways of making announcements – this is definitely one of my favourites.
8. Don’t tease the dog. Unless you can record it and add a wonderful voiceover.
9. Technically it’s mean to laugh at people when they fall over, but sometimes it’s really hard not to.
10. This video makes you want to listen to Miley (yes, really) and play chat roulette all at the same time, so for that it deservers a mention.
And finally T- Swift + the internet + a little bit of creativity = endless fun
Happy Birthday YouTube. Here’s to the next decade.